For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces your risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury over a lifetime.
Drinking no more than four standard drinks on a single occasion reduces the risk of alcohol-related injury arising from that occasion.
For women who are pregnant, planning pregnancy, or breastfeeding not drinking is the safest option.
- Reduce your risk – new national guidelines
- NHMRC guidelines – short
- NHMRC Australian guidelines to reduce risk from drinking alcohol
- Consultation Draft National Alcohol Strategy 2018-2026 – draft
- ICD classification Mental and behavioural disorders due to psychoactive substance use
- DSM V crtieria for alcohol use disorder
The Audit C is a 3 item alcohol screening tool helps to identify people who are hazardous drinkers or have active alcohol use disorders (including alcohol abuse or dependence). The AUDIT-C is a modified version of the 10 question AUDIT screening tool.
Fact sheet patients
- APSAD – Australasian professional society on AOD
- NCETA – The National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction
- Detoxification from Alcohol – Tony Gill – Clinical guidelines for general practitioners supporting patients with alcohol withdrawal.
- NDARC – National drug and alcohol research centre
- DARTA – Drug and alcohol research and training
- Federal Government Programme “Women Want to Know” regarding pregnancy and Alcohol
- Optimising MBS items for drug and alcohol patients
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Interventions
- Motivational Interviewing Techniques
- Screening and brief interventions designed especially to support the LGBTI community with substance misuse
- Tip sheet for cutting down alcohol consumption
Support Services and Apps
- Hello Sunday Morning – Hello Sunday Morning builds technology that supports any individual to change their relationship with alcohol.
- Get Healthy NSW – phone coaching – Free telephone based Health Coaching, a free service that can help to provide the support and motivation needed to reach healthy lifestyle goals.
- Local alcohol and other drugs support services