Shared Antenatal Care (SAC)
Shared antenatal care is sharing pregnancy care between the general practitioner and the hospital antenatal clinic. It is available for Hornsby, Royal North Shore and Northern Beaches hospitals. Shared antenatal care is an option for pregnant women with no adverse maternal or fetal pregnancy risk factors. GPs consult and can refer to the hospital’s obstetric team if problems arise. GPs and hospitals participating in the program follow an agreed protocol. Sydney North Health Network maintains a list of GPs who wish to participate in shared antenatal care. This list is shared with the antenatal clinics and neighbouring Primary Health Networks.
To Become a SAC GP
Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Complete the GP details form and return to Sydney North Health Network
Sydney, South Eastern Sydney and Central and Eastern Sydney Local Health Districts
Western Sydney Local Health District
- Contact: Wentwest
Find a Shared Antenatal Care General Practitioner
*Information provided on this Site does not imply endorsement of a particular General Practitioner, services or products. Please click here for full Disclaimer.
CLICK HERE to find a Shared Antenatal Care General Practitioner.
Click on the “search again” button to search by language spoken, suburb or surname.
Find a Public Hospital
The public hospital you attend depends on the local government area (council area) in which you live. To help you know which hospital to go to in your area please read the list below:
|Public Hospital||Local Government (Council) Area|
|Royal North Shore Hospital||Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Mosman, North Sydney Ryde and Willoughby Councils|
|Hornsby Hospital||Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai Councils|
|Northern Beaches Hospital||Northern Beaches Council|
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Service Patient Brochure
- Get Healthy in Pregnancy
- Mum for Mum
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- NSW Health Maternity – multilingual resources
- Safer Baby Bundle
- Every week counts
- Gidget House Manly: mild-moderate perinatal depression/anxiety support service
- Focus on New Fathers
- COVID-19 vaccination decision guide for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning pregnancy
- GP details form
- GP SAC protocol
Please make sure the pathology ordered is that prescribed on the protocol and is provided in hard copy for the women to bring to the antenatal clinic at their first visit.
- SAC contacts
- Antenatal record cards (NSW Health)
Antenatal record cards (NSW Health) are available by calling Stream Solutions, 1300 786 075. The cards are free but do incur postage charges.
- Patient Brochures
- Online education
- Clinical practice guidelines – pregnancy care
- SOMANZ Guideline for the management of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum
- RCOG Green-top guideline No. 63 Antepartum haemorrhage
- RCOG Green-top guideline No. 27 Placenta praevia, placenta praevia accreta and vasa praevia: diagnosis and management
- COPE clinical practice guideline – Mental Health Care in the Perinatal Period
- Testing for hypothyroidism during pregnancy with serum TSH
- Thyroid disease in the perinatal period
To the fullest extent permissible at law SNHN Limited its officers, employees, agents, agencies, instrumentalities, contractors, successors, assigns and others acting under its control are irrevocably and unconditionally released from any and all liability to each person or organisation using this site as a result of any information being incorrect.
The information provided is correct to the best of our knowledge, but no warranty as to accuracy is given and each person or organisation should not act on the basis of its contents without taking appropriate independent advice.
Information provided on this site does not imply endorsement of a particular General Practitioner, services or products.
The information and materials on this site are provided for information only on the understanding that they do not constitute professional or expert advice and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease.
Links to other web sites are inserted for your convenience and do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organisation, product or service. It is the responsibility of the user to make their own decisions about the relevance or accuracy, currency and reliability of information found on those sites. We do not represent or warrant that any files obtained from or through this site are free from computer viruses or other defects.