March 2017 – December 2019
PROVIDER: GP Learning
AVAILABLE: Thursday 30 Mar 2017 12:00am – Tuesday 31 Dec 2019 12:00am
The Mental Health Skills Training with a focus on youth mental health active learning module (ALM) provides general practitioners (GPs) with the skills to recognise and assess mental illnesses and to prepare evidence-based GP mental health treatment plans.
In recognition of these increased skills, GPs who have completed mental health skills training (MHST) gain access to additional MBS items, 2715 and 2717.
The MHST modular pathway and this ALM consist of two modules:
A Mental Health Core Module, which provides an overview of the Australian mental healthcare system, aetiology of the common mental illnesses seen in general practice and how to complete mental health treatment plans.
A Mental Health Clinical Enhancement Module which provides participants with the opportunity increase their skills in detecting and managing mental illness in young people.
- Outline the features that allow the detection of common, disabling and treatable mental illnesses in general practice;
- Undertake mental health assessments using the appropriate psychometric instruments validated for young people;
- Demonstrate preparation of evidence-based GP mental health treatment plans in partnership with patients and their carers;
- Describe the evidence based treatment recommendations for anxiety, depression, borderline personality disorder and psychosis in young people; and
- Identify practice systems and other issues that safeguard patient safety in providing mental healthcare.
This activity has approval by the RACGP for 40 Category 1 points for the 2017-19 triennium: Activity number 94398.
You will be sent a predisposing activity prior to the course which will need to be completed and returned before the program commences. Instructions for returning the activity will be included on the activity. Upon completion of the course you will be asked to complete a reinforcing/follow-up activity.
To qualify for 40 Category 1 points with the RACGP, participants must complete the predisposing and reinforcing activities and the feedback form.
Headspace National Youth Mental Health Foundation sponsored the Clinical Enhancement Module component.
8.5 Hours online training – http://gplearning.racgp.org.au
Please contact the gplearning Helpdesk on 1800 284 789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.