Information from NSW Health for Emergency Departments, Ambulance Service, Intensive Care Units, Clinical Toxicology Units, and Drug and Alcohol Services
- NSW Health recommends a high index of suspicion for methanol poisoning in people who report ingestion of methylated spirits.
- All patients with a history of methylated spirits ingestion should be asked about visual disturbances and have blood gases, electrolytes, measured serum osmolarity and blood ethanol levels performed.
- Contact the Poisons Information Centre (13 11 26) for clinical advice and support. Report patients identified with methanol poisoning to your local public health unit on 1300 066 055.
For more information, including background, case management and notification, read the full clinical alert: https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/569653/Methanol-Clinical-Alert.pdf