Sydney North Health Network is seeking a General Practice within the Northern Beaches, Pittwater or Warringah LGAs to participate in a shared-care nurse-led pilot with the Northern Sydney Local Health District (NSLHD) Drug & Alcohol Service.
- The AOD Nurse Led Clinic aims to support better collaboration between specialist Drug & Alcohol services and General Practices within the NSLHD. Shared care increases accessibility of treatment, reduces stigma and will develop durable referral pathways that allow smooth transitions between primary care and specialist D&A services.
- The practice will have an interest in Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) or a medium case load of patients who use substances and/or alcohol at harmful levels.
- The practice will be willing to actively participate in the research evaluation of this pilot and will be reimbursed for their time.
Aims of the pilot project
- Provide coordinated care arrangements to improve patient outcomes and reduce the need for specialist referral and admission.
- Provide clinical liaison services to increase capacity, clinical understanding and referral pathway knowledge allowing for better integration and support for General Practitioners who are seeing patients with D&A needs.
- Provide education and support to clinicians in primary care and D&A settings, to support the GP Shared-Care pilot project objectives.
- Support the improvement of screening for drug and alcohol use in general practice and detection of drug and alcohol use disorders
Benefits for your practice
- An AOD clinical nurse specialist on-site or available through telehealth assessments two sessions a week
- Improved knowledge of screening, and management of Alcohol and Other Drug patients
- Increased communication with Northern Sydney Local Health District drug and alcohol team
- Increase knowledge of managing both the mental and physical healthcare needs of AOD patients
- Increased knowledge of local hospital services and referral pathways