From 31 October 2019, changes to Commonwealth legislation recognise an Electronic Prescription as an optional, alternative legal form to paper prescriptions by which medicines can be supplied under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
Electronic Prescriptions are a safe, secure and convenient way for patients to have their medicines supplied. Electronic prescribing is not mandatory and is an option for prescribers and their patients to use as an alternative to a paper prescription.
To assist you in getting your Pharmacy or Practice ready for Electronic Prescriptions, please find the relevant checklist in the ‘Resources’ Section below or contact SNHN Digital Health Team at DigitalHealth@snhn.org.au for support.
- Improves efficiency in prescribing and dispensing medications.
- May reduce prescribing and dispensing errors
- Reduces the administrative burden for healthcare providers and organisations (e.g.
handling and storing a physical paper prescription)
- Providing an opportunity to protect community members and healthcare providers from exposure to infectious diseases (e.g. COVID-19) or other emergencies.
- Provides greater choice for patients whilst maintaining patient privacy and integrity of personal information.
- Supports digital health services such as telehealth services to ensure continuity of patient care.
Below are links to recorded webinars previously presented by the Australian Digital Health Agency for you to watch at your convenience:
Australian Digital Health Agency – Information and updates for Prescribers and Dispensers
PSA – Dedicated Electronic Prescription Support Line 1300 955 162. Available 8.30 am to 7.00pm AEST
List of electronic prescription-enabled pharmacies in the Northern Sydney region (NB: While we endeavour to keep this list as up-to-date as possible, it may not reflect all pharmacies that are enabled for e-prescriptions. We encourage you to contact your local pharmacy to check if they are enabled. If you are an EP-enabled pharmacy and would like to be added to this list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)