Dr Kerry Chant, Chief Health Officer and Deputy Secretary of Population and Public Health is pleased to announce the Ministry of Health Advance Care Planning package after much public consultation. The package includes:
- An Advance Care Directive form to complete, and
- An Information Booklet to help you complete your Advance Care Directive.
This package is one of many advance care planning and end of life resources that are available for use. The Advance Care Directive in this package does not replace or void any other existing Advance Care Directives that are being used in NSW.
The package builds on the current options as well as provide a guide and a better legal and clinical framework to some of these options.
The purpose of the Information Booklet is to provide information to help people understand and complete an Advance Care Directive in NSW. The Information Booklet outlines some key questions that people face when discussing Advance Care Directives, these include:
- What is an Advance Care Directive?
- Why an Advance Care Directive is important?
- How to prepare for making an Advance Care Directive
- How to make an Advance Care Directive
- When it applies and when is it valid
It is important to note that in NSW a person does not need to use a specific form to record their wishes, therefore all Advance Care Directives must be respected.
Information and package also available on Sydney North HealthPathways.