Key points for General Practitioners:
- A food handler working at The Star Casino complex in Pyrmont has been notified with hepatitis A
- A community alert has been issued, advising patrons that the risk is low
- Some patrons may present for vaccine, with symptoms of hepatitis A, or for advice
- If you suspect acute viral hepatitis, contact your local public health unit on 1300 066 055
- A food handler who worked at Sokyo restaurant at The Star Casino complex has been diagnosed with hepatitis A.
- The risk to patrons is low. Those at some risk are those that ate dinner on certain dates between 20 September to 8 October 2017.
- Unrelated to this incident, since late July 2017, there have been 28 cases of locally-acquired hepatitis A in NSW. Of these, 13 are in men who have sex with men (MSM). Epidemiological analysis suggests the infection is being spread from person to person through sexual contact locally.
For further information, please visit: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/hepatitisA/Pages/default.aspx