Expressions of Interest
There has been little empirical research regarding experiences of persons living with and managing diabetes Type II, in association with experiencing cognitive impairment or dementia. There is also little evidence regarding the experiences of primary care providers in supporting individuals to engage in the self-management of their diabetes in association with a diagnosis of dementia or cognitive impairment.
The Sydney North Health Network (SNHN) is collaborating with the Universities of Notre Dame Australia, University of Newcastle and the University of New South Wales to undertake a qualitative exploratory study. The study aims to explore the factors involved in the self-management of diabetes by people over 75 years whom are also living with cognitive impairment or early stage dementia from the perspectives of the consumers, cares/significant other/responsible person and primary health clinicians.
Researchers are seeking expressions of interest from GPs and PNs interested in supporting the recruitment of consumer/patients to the study and taking part in a semi-structured interview. The project will run for 10 months.
Benefits for General Practice:
The findings of the study will inform care planning and ongoing self-management support actions required to meet the needs of this vulnerable group of patients. The Practice will receive an incentive payment for participation.
What is expected of participating General Practices:
- Practice Nurse/Manager to audit list of patients using the PEN Clinical Audit tool (version 4), commonly referred to as the CAT4 tool for eligibility to participate in the study; and GPs to confirm eligibility of patients. Please note: installation and use of the clinical audit tool will be supported by Sydney North Health Network.
- GPs to confirm patient ability to provide an informed consent
- Practice Nurse/Manager to disseminate study packs (Participant Information Sheets and Consent form) to support the research teams arms-length approach to recruitment
- Participate in a brief semi-structured interview
Patient inclusion criteria
- Diagnosis of Diabetes Type 2 at least 6 months
- Diagnosis of Cognitive Impairment or Dementia
If you are interested in supporting this study, please complete the information here and return to firstname.lastname@example.org . For further information please contact: E: email@example.com P: 9432 8215