Disability Education Videos
Disability Education Videos
Ageing and Dementia in People with Intellectual Disability
Wednesday 10 November 2021
This CPD Activity that aims to improve the capacity of general practitioners to provide health care to people with intellectual disability with complex health needs.
- Describe how ageing, frailty and dementia differ in people with intellectual disability, compared to others in the population.
- Identify the main health considerations in people with intellectual disability as they age.
- Explain the clinical presentation of dementia in people with intellectual disability
- Outline the process of assessment and diagnosis of dementia in people with intellectual disability
- Understand the principles of management of dementia in people with intellectual disability.
- Demonstrate how the concept of “ageing in place” can be applied to people with intellectual disability.
- Dr Seeta Durvasula – Clinical Director, NSLHD Intellectual Disability Health Service. Seeta Durvasula is a medical practitioner who has been consulting in intellectual disability medicine for more than 25 years. She is the Clinical Director of two specialised multidisciplinary health clinics in Sydney for children and adults with intellectual disability. She is a Senior Lecturer in Developmental Disability Health, Northern Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine and Health, University of Sydney. Seeta’s research interests are in mortality, ageing and frailty, and health outcomes in people with intellectual disability.
Management of Anxiety in Children and Young People with an Intellectual Disability
Tuesday 25 May 2021
Sydney North Health Network (SNHN) together with the Northern Sydney Intellectual Disability Service presents this webinar on management of anxiety in children and young people with an intellectual disability.
- Dr Yvette Vella, BAPPSC (OCC Therapy) MBBS FRACP DCH MPH. Developmental and General Paediatrician at the NSIDHS, and also works in private practice in Sydney. She has expertise in managing complex behaviours of concern in children and adolescents with ID and autism and works in collaboration with schools for specific purposes in the Local Health District. Dr Vella also has a special interest in working with children in out of home care.
- Leah Ballin, BA (Psych & Ed), GradDipSci (Psych) MPsych (Ed & Dev), MAPS, FCEDP. Educational and developmental psychologist at NSIDHS. Leah has experience providing psychology services across a range of settings having previously worked as a school psychologist, in private practice, as well as with NGOs as part of a multidisciplinary team. Leah also has particular experience in working with children who present with autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability and cerebral palsy.
- Cathy Young, Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
Comprehensive Health Assessments, Capacity and Consent in People with Intellectual Disability
Tuesday 16 March 2021
Webinar aimed at increasing health practitioners’ knowledge and skills in managing patients with an intellectual disability.
- Dr Seeta Durvasula, Clinical Director, NSLHD Intellectual Disability Health Service.
- Melissa Tizzone, Social Worker, NSLHD Intellectual Disability Specialist Team.
Assessing Behaviours of Concern in Paediatric Patients with Intellectual Disability
Tuesday 27 October 2020
Aimed at increasing health practitioners’ knowledge and skills in managing patients with an intellectual disability.
- Dr Yvette Vella, BTHO, MBBS, RACP, MPH, Developmental and General Paediatrician at the NSIDHS, and also works in private practice in Sydney.
- Michelle Gray, Senior Clinician Intellectual Disability, NNSWLHD.
- Rebecca Stack, BSc (Hons) in Intellectual Disability Nursing, Clinical Nurse Consultant at the NSIDHS.
Recognising Complexity in Intellectual Disability
Tuesday 8 September 2020
- Aged Care
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Antenatal Care
- Chronic Disease
- Climate Health
- Cultural Training
- Digital Health
- Domestic Violence
- Health Professional Wellbeing
- Mental Health
- Palliative Care
- Practice Support
- Preventative Health and Screening