My Aged Care
My Aged Care is the main point through which all aged care services can be accessed. The My Aged Care website is here to help you navigate the aged care system. It provides information on aged care for yourself, a family member, friend or someone you’re caring for.
You can call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 between 8am and 8pm on weekdays and between 10am and 2pm on Saturdays. The My Aged Care contact centre is closed on Sundays and national public holidays.
> My Aged Care Resources
- My Aged Care consumer brochure
- Making a complaint about My Aged Care
- Your guide to home care package services
> When should I think about accessing Aged Care services?
- Aged Care services are designed to support Older Australians to live at home independently for as long as possible. When you start to find some daily living tasks, such as cleaning or showering difficult, or need help to attend appointment, is a good time to access Aged Care services. Some services have waiting times, so beginning the process early can help prevent unnecessary hospital stays, whilst waiting for home assistance.
Living in residential care
- Residential Aged Care provides 24 hour care when you or your loved one can no longer manage to live independently and safely at home. Often care needs become too much for a carer/family member to manage and so this is when it is time to think about Residential Aged Care.
- ‘You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending’ CS Lewis
- Remember that how you age is up to you. To ensure you can remain independent for as long as possible it is important to keep up with all your health and wellbeing needs. See your GP regularly especially if you have a long-term condition, exercise regularly and remain as social as possible.
Information on SNHN’s Aged Care Program, is available here.