What is the Musculoskeletal Initiative?
Sydney North Health Network are seeking expressions of interest from up to 30 General Practices to join Phase 2 of the Northern Sydney MusculoSkeletal Initiative (MSI) in Primary Care. The MSI is a clinical improvement project piloting the introduction of practice nurse led musculoskeletal disease clinics for osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, within general practice.
The project is a partnership between Sydney North Health Network, the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation, and Northern Sydney Local Health District.
What are the benefits for your practice?
- Access to training / education to support management of common chronic musculoskeletal diseases (osteoarthritis and osteoporosis).
- Improvements in clinical outcomes for your patients with hip/knee osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
- Identification of additional revenue generation opportunities through better utilisation of existing MBS item numbers.
What support is provided to each participating practice?
- $500 will be offered to each participating practice to cover time spent preparing for the clinics.
- Training, mentoring and education of practice staff to develop sustainable strategies for running musculoskeletal disease clinics.
- Resources for clinicians and patients.
- 1 on 1 clinician support to facilitate patient identification through practice software and assessment as needed.
- A business model explaining the use of existing MBS item numbers in the context of the MSI project is also available.
What is required of each participating practice?
- A commitment to recruit and assess a minimum of 10 patients with hip/knee osteoarthritis, or at risk of osteoporosis.
- Practice Nurse with access to clinical assessment space.
- Commitment to engage with training and clinical practice improvement opportunities.
- Practice must be accredited.
- Agree to report back on key clinical indicators for each patient.
When is the MSI due to finish?
- This project is due to finish at the end of June 2016.
If you wish to be involved, please contact Christine Collins on 0477 718 826 or email email@example.com