Our region’s headspace, youth mental health services operations, will be changing over the June and July period.
In February 2018 we undertook an open tender process enabling the:
- expansion of our region’s youth mental health services, incorporating headspace
- the continuation of headspace services across our region, within an expanded service model
The open tender process has concluded. New Horizons will become the new headspace Lead Agency in our region.
New Horizons has a long history of working in the disability and mental health sectors. New Horizons is the Lead Agency for the in inner western Sydney headspace service.
The headspace services offered will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- A ‘hub and spoke’ operating model to provide more equitable coverage to the northern Sydney region (Northern Beaches, Hornsby, and Ryde)
- Care coordination and extended outreach services
- Flexible opening times (later opening, evenings and weekends)
- Extended use of digital therapies (e-headspace roll out)
- Expanded culturally appropriate services – in language, in local hubs within communities
- Greater linkage to schools, parents, and GP’s to improve navigation and accessibility of services.
The two headspace centres located at Chatswood and Brookvale will remain open.
We will now transition services from the current lead agency to New Horizons. During the transition period between now and 31 July 2018 there will be no change to the referral process into headspace services. Telephone referrals can still be made to:
- headspace Chatswood ph: 8021 3668
- headspace Brookvale ph: 9937 6500
Are you concerned about the provision of youth mental health service to any of your patients? Please contact the SNPHN Mental Health Triage Line directly on: 1300 782 391. We will support access to services, including headspace.
The NSLHD and the PHN have also identified additional resources to ensure that the quality and quantity of headspace services in the area is maintained during the transition period. These services will be available to youth in need during the transition period, through the usual headspace referral process:
- 47 psychologists and two youth focused counselling services
- KYDS based in Lindfield
- the Cottage Counselling Centre with locations around the northern beaches
We will be working closely with New Horizons to inform GPs on how to access our strengthened northern Sydney youth mental services. We will continue to keep you updated of our progress.