PROVIDER: The Advance Project is in conjunction with Hammond Care, Care Search, The University of Sydney, The University of Queensland, UTS, The University of Wollongong, Austin Health Ongoing
Advance is a free toolkit of screening and assessment tools and a training package, specifically designed to support nurses in Australian general practices to work with general practitioners (GPs) to initiate advance care planning (ACP) and palliative care in everyday general practice.
The Advance Toolkit consists of six screening and assessment tools and a Guide, which indicates how to implement the screening tools in a systematic way in general practice. The toolkit was informed by a literature review of the best available evidence about tools to support palliative care and ACP in general practice, as well as input from our expert advisory group and feedback from general practice nurses, general practitioners and Carers Australia.
Advance aims to enable better care outcomes in Australian GP practices through:
- enabling earlier consideration and uptake of ACP
- enabling more efficient use of GP and nurse time in providing palliative and supportive care
- enabling more appropriate and timely referrals to specialist palliative care services if required
- increasing confidence and comfort levels for general practice nurses (GPNs) in initiating conversations with patients and their carers about screening for supportive care needs and ACP
What are the benefits of Advance for general practice?
The Advance training package will help general practice nurse(s) to work with GPs to initiate ACP and, where appropriate, palliative care for elderly and/or chronically ill patients within the practice.
- Help break down some of the barriers to ACP in general practice
- Enable the practice to more efficiently:
- identify patients who might be at risk of deteriorating and dying
- assess and address the supportive care needs of patients who might be at risk of deteriorating and dying
- assess and address the needs of carers of patients who might be at risk of deteriorating and dying
- Help identify patients who might benefit from early referral to specialist palliative care services.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information please contact the Advance project team at AdvanceProject@hammond.com.au
REGISTRATION: To register, please visit https://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/tabid/4087/Default.aspx