Short Term Psychological Therapies
Description of Services
There are three categories of services available for Short Term Psychological Therapies.
- Short term psychological therapies provided to people who have mild to moderate mental illness, or are at risk of suicide or self-harm.
To see a list of approved providers, click here.
- Group therapy programs for people with mild to moderate mental illness who would benefit from group therapy. Available groups include: Perinatal depression, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy for young people and adults, Hoarding Disorder treatment.
- Short term psychological therapies for people from a Chinese background, including culturally appropriate services in English, Cantonese, Mandarin and Shanghainese.
Short Term Psychological Therapies are available to people who live, work or go to school in the Northern Sydney Primary Health Network region with a diagnosable mild to moderate mental illness, who may benefit from short term treatment, are unable to access other available services including Better Access (Medicare subsidised psychological services).
To access these services, people must be from an underserviced group:
- Children (0-11 years old)
- Young people (12-25 years old)
- Women experiencing perinatal depression and anxiety
- People from a CALD background
- People who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- People experiencing financial hardship
- People who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- People who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex
- Elderly people
- People with a mental illness who have a co-morbid intellectual disability
People unable to access MBS-funded Better Access psychological services
How to access the services
A GP referral is required to access these services.
A completed Mental Health Treatment Plan and outcome measure (K-10+, K-5 or SDQ) must be included with referral.
To refer a client, please call the Mental Health Triage on 1300 782 391 or send a completed Referral Form via secure fax on 02 8072 6899.